Thursday, July 30, 2009

Upcoming Paranormal & Sci-Fi Goodies to Add to Your List


Hey Readers! My brain is mush as I'm currently on a marathon writing session working toward my manuscript deadline but I'm popping out to take a breather to share some goodies coming up.


2012

What's the story?
An academic researcher leads a group of people in a fight to counteract the apocalyptic events that were predicted by the ancient Mayan calendar.

Standouts: It's Roland Emmerich, nuff said. ;-) While some people thinks he's cheesy and action oriented with no story, I love him because he can bring the entertainment. He fills his movies with action, a good story and enough human drama to make you relate to the characters and cheer for them to get out of their predicament. With 2012 he's up the survival stakes very high this time around and I'm eager to see how it plays out. Plus with a cast like John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofer, Thandie Newton, Danny Glover and many more, you know it's going to be awesome.

Release Date: November 13, 2009





Daybreakers

What's the story?
Ethan Hawke plays Edward Dalton, a researcher in the year 2019, in which an unknown plague has transformed the world's population into vampires. As the human population nears extinction, vampires must capture and farm every remaining human, or find a blood substitute before time runs out. However, a covert group of vampires makes a remarkable discovery, one which has the power to save the human race.

Standouts: Story sounds awesome, movie looks great with tension some fine big time actors in a futuristic setting and vampires! Bummer that vampires are seen as a disease that has to be cured. That trope has been long running in paranormal fiction and I like when stories deviate to show them as a separate species living among humans. As Sam Neil says "What's to cure?" But I do like the twist that humans are becoming an endangered species while vampires are taking over. Bonus on that. Very interested to see this movie and what kind of story it'll tell

Release Date: January 8th, 2010

Notable Trailer Music: Runnin' Up That Hill by Placebo



The Book of Eli

What's the Story?
A post-apocalyptic tale, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind.

Standouts: Another one with an awesome cast and some gorgeous looking cinematography. If you're like me an love some good futuristic dystopia sci-fi, add this one to your movie list to check out next year.

Release Date: January 15, 2010





If you're in the New Orleans, LA area this autumn, check out the Vampire Film Festival The website is full of goodies including some Vampire Short Films, articles, a section on vampire fiction books (including a fanged Sherrilyn Kenyon giving an interview), and an open call for all you filmmakers with vampire themed short films.

One notable section is the upcoming vampire and werewolf movies. I'll be bookmarking this site for later.

As for on the blogosphere, authors Patricia Altner and Michele Hauf are teaming up for a new vampire themed blog called VampChix. Check them out: http://vampchix.blogspot.com

Til next time!

7 comments:

Rebecca Royce said...

Okay, can I just say Wow? Rae you know that you and I share a LOVE for these kinds of movies and I knew nothing about them. Maybe I'm just out of it because of the pregnancy? LOL. THANK YOU. I am sooo pumped now.

Anonymous said...

Great information, Rae. I love movies like those and new nothing about them either. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm also now curious about the fanged Sherrilyn Kenyon. Hmmmm......

Great post.

Liena~

Annie Nicholas said...

Looks like a movie fest in January! I knew about 2012 but not the others ones. I really can't wait for the vampire one. WooHoo.

J Hali Steele said...

WOW! Daybreakers looks awesome and I hadn't even heard about it. Great post, Rae, chocked full of good information. Thanks.

Rae Lori said...

Ack! Sorry about the ginormous elongated vids guys! That should be fixed now hehe.

Rebecca, definitely! Don't feel bad though cause I just found out about these literally a few days ago when a friend made me aware. I was like "wha huh? These trailers are out??" Lol. And I just had to share the goods. :-) I just wish they weren't so darn far away hehe.

Liena, no problem! Some great looking flicks coming up indeed. Can't wait to see em. I was curious about Sherrilyn Kenyon. I didn't think that was her at first heh.

Annie, yup yup! I wonder if studios think January is a gold mine for vampire movies since Underworld 3 was a powerhouse earlier this year. Would be a great way to start of the year, no?

Joann, no prob! I think I'm addicted to that trailer because it's put together so well with the music and everything. Love it!

Chiron said...

WOW! What an amazing post. You are now the official queen of Sneak Previews. *bows*

These all look fascinating. Thanks for the entertainment!

--Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Rae Lori said...

Lol thanks Chiron and my pleasure! :-)