Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dracula: The Un-Dead

Okay,

So first of all let me apologize for the lateness of posting this blog today. I had thought that I saved it earlier in the week to be posted today but apparently, I am losing my mind.

I’ll ask all of your forgiveness on this. I just had a baby four weeks ago and my middle child has been sick with a cold. Okay. So are we good? Hope so.

Today, I am going to be reviewing a very fun read entitled “Dracula: The Un-Dead” by Dacre Stoker (yes…he is related.) and Ian Holt. This book just released, Oct. 13th and I can’t say enough nice things about it.

Yes, You need to have read the first book. But c’mon, if you’re reading this blog “Paranormal Romantics” and you haven’t read the first Dracula, I am going to insist that you stop reading right here and go read it.

For me, that first book is an addiction. I’ve read it so many times, in so many different classes from Junior High School through my senior year of college in several of my Senior English seminars that I can quote from it verbatim. I won’t. I’ll spare you all that. That kind of torture is reserved solely for my family.

But back to “Dracula: The Un-Dead.” It starts out with a bang and it keeps on going. Let me quote, shall I?

“Letter from Mina Harker to her son Quincey Harker, Esq.

(To be opened upon the sudden or unnatural death of Wilhelmina Harker)

9th March 1912

Dear Quincey,

My dear son, all your life you have suspected that there have been secrets between us. I fear that the time has come to reveal the truth to you. To deny it any longer would put both your life and your immortal soul in jeopardy.”

That is how the book opens. From moment one, Stoker recaptured Mina’s voice to me. It is like having the first book read for the first time and then some. It is high paced, fast, and exciting. I recommend this to all who love the Un-dead as I do.

Best to you, if you can sleep at night after you’ve read it.

Rebecca Royce.

3 comments:

J Hali Steele said...

Rebecca, this was well worth waiting for! Thanks.

Annie Nicholas said...

Where do my comments go when I send them via my black berry?? Some other blogger is scratching their head asking, "Why is she talking about vampires, this is a fishing blog?"

I'm anxious to read this. As my younger son would say, "I want. I want."

LM Spangler said...

I've never read the first book but it looks like I'll have to now so I can read The Un-Dead.

Thanks for the review. Great post.

Liena~