Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday is Upon us! Run…

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that everyone is back home and safe with lots of leftovers so you don’t have to cook for the rest of the weekend! If you cooked, I hope someone did dishes for you, or at least filled the dishwasher. *grins*



We all know about the sales at all the major retailers and this year competition will be really tough with the economic conditions most of the country finds itself in. Good luck to all who brave the “black” waters. Hope you find that special something you’re looking for, and that it’s on sale.


I was unaware until I started searching for information that the term "Black Friday" was coined in Philly due to the heavy traffic on the day following Thanksgiving. Why am I not surprised? Actually it wouldn't have surprised me if it referenced any large city on the East coast, or the Midwest, or the West coast. I've lived in a major city in all three sections of the country and found traveling horrendous on this day in each. Now the phrase refers to retailers going from being in the red to turning a profit. (See more @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

A neighbor a few doors down had Christmas lights on already. This reminded me some are preparing for the next big holiday. My post came to mind for that reason, and it didn't hurt that my sister had soft music playing all day—Christmas music to be exact. I’ve been hearing it since the day after Halloween on my cable company’s Sounds of the Season channel. (Which happens to be right next to the Soundscapes that I couldn’t live without!)

Anyway, what I’m getting to here is there are so many Christmas, or holiday, songs to choose from. There’s rock and roll, jazz, classical, popular—so, so many. I have a few favorites (see I’m not Scrooge...at least not yet!) I thought I’d post some of those I like here.


Little Drummer Boy (David Bowie and Bing Crosby made this memorable for me)
The Coventry Carol (Alison Moyet does an excellent rendition of this classic)
Ave Maria (Dolores O’Riordan’s my fav and it's not only Christmas music)
White Christmas (Elvis Presley and Amy Grant do an awesome version)
Carol of the Bells (By anybody – just love it!)
What about you, do you have a tune you like to hear, one that heralds the beginning of special holidays or joyous times you celebrate? Share your favorite, and include a link—I’d like to share it with you.

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

6 comments:

Annie Nicholas said...

Ava Maria by Celine Dion. Sorry no linkage. I'm on the BB while standing in line at Walmart. Yes, I am one of those crazy people.

Rebecca Royce said...

I think I'm staying away from Black Friday today. Great post J.

J Hali Steele said...

Annie, I see you were found, didn't you get my 'danger' notice? lol And, yes, I love Celine's version of Ave Maria. Awesome!

Rebecca, I believe stores only mark the prices up to take them down and call it a sale! I know, that's cynical.

Sandra Sookoo said...

Just came in from shopping. stood in line at Old Navy for 25. Not awesome deals but good enough to spend my budgeted money.

My favorite holiday song at the moment? Baby it's cold outside by Zooey Deschanel from the Elf soundtrack

Annie Nicholas said...

I made it home in one piece. My car was stuffed and my nieces shopped 'til they dropped. I'm going to bed now.

J Hali Steele said...

Oooh, Sandi, I remember that song but by somebody else. I'll have to listen to hers.

Annie, I was worried! Glad you're home safe.