Friday, April 16, 2010

Musical Chairs

EVERYONE knows I surf YouTube for music. Usually starts when I'm writing and I look for something to listen to. It ended up with me having songs I associated with books and with various characters. When I come upon a piece I like, I will most often listen to the myriad of renditions, or covers, of the song. It's interesting to me the different sounds and ways an artist will interpret another artist's work.

See where I'm going with this? Today I've compiled a video collage of songs and the variety of ways they have been done--and redone.

This is WHATEVER LOLA WANTS by Sarah Vaughan.


Same song by Gotan Project (with Sarah Vaughan vocals) This piece has been used often on Dancing With the Stars and other shows for tango routines. We all know how I love tango *grins* think RHYTHM OF LOVE available now at Ellora's Cave.


Here's one with a Middle Eastern flavor--I want to SEE the Nabil Ayouch movie after watching the video trailer:


Here's a song I've always enjoyed listening to, LA VIE EN ROSE. First up, the awesome Edith Piaf whose name is synonymous with this song.


Then we have Louis Armstrong's version.


Cyndi Lauper did one too! Has anyone seen her on Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice?

And then there's MACK THE KNIFE by Bobby Darin...but we'll leave that for another time.

Hope you enjoyed the musical stroll. Until next time: Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

3 comments:

Annie Nicholas said...

Music infleuences my writing as well. My choices run to rock though. Bait was inspired by a Baliwood song. LOL The dance scene between Connie and Dragos popped in my head and I was like who is this crazy woman dancing with a Nosferatu vampire?

D L Jackson said...

Since I write in my vehicle on my lunch hour, I listen to a wide range of music. I pretty much listen to everything, but mostly rock. There are definate albums that contributed to novels I've written.
I owe Last Flight of the Ark to God Smack's smoky music and An Alien's Guide to Abducting a Bride to ACDC.
Saving Able inspired Slipping the Past.

J Hali Steele said...

OK, ladies, I have to listen to more rock! I did growing up so don't know what happened...

Annie, that's so interesting.

DL, I know ACDC, will have to look the others up and give a listen. I like your description "smoky music"!