Friday, April 2, 2010

Welcome Charisma Knight

It’s Friday and you know me--J. Hali. Today, I’m doing something I haven’t done for a while—an interview with an author who brought along a friend. You never know how these things will turn out but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to talk with Charisma Knight, who happens to have a release today, Just An Average Vampire, at Amira Press.
Hi, Charisma, I’d like to welcome you to Paranormal Romantics and thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I know how busy release day can be.

CK: Thank you for inviting me, it’s good to be here.

Can you tell us a little about who you have with you? I’m trying really hard not to stare.

CK: This is Cecil McKagan, vampire and mate of Trina Jones. Cecil lives in the Edison, New Jersey area with Trina. Isn’t he hot?

Uhh, yeah. He’s gorgeous, all six feet of him. And I do have a thing for long, black hair! Shoot, wonder if he can read my mind?

Cecil: Well, Ms. Steele, I never suspected I would find love again. Love can be quite painful, and after my wife and child were murdered, I swore I would never allow myself to feel that emotion again. I wished for death after that startling discovery. I was 'sired' by Nydia, she-demon from hell, and now that I’ve discovered love once more, Nydia has threatened to destroy what Trina and I have. So…I must take matters into my own hands.

Please, call me Joann. OK, that was intense. I’ll be keeping my eyes on him! Charisma, can you tell us a little about yourself?

CK: I reside in the Maryland area with my two daughters and truly enjoy writing, especially for the paranormal erotic genre. I possess a love for vampires and anything that goes bump in the night. Writing makes me happy.

How long have you been writing, and is it something you’ve always wanted to do?

CK: I started freelance writing for virtual assistant clients in July 2007, so this July will be three years. It wasn’t until March 2009 that I decided to write erotica.

Things have been moving pretty fast for you then. I know you have other books out, can you tell us a little about your favorite character? Is there one you prefer or like better than the others? Not sure I like the look in Cecil’s eyes…

CK: My favorite character is Cecil McKagan from my new release, Just an Average Vampire. Cecil was a knight who fought in the Crusades for King Richard. Upon his return, he was ‘sired’ by Nydia, a blood-thirsty, yet beautiful vampire. In the story, he exists in modern times and is a dear friend to Trina Jones. Actually, he wants to be more than just a friend. Cecil worries he’ll emotionally damage Trina since she came from an abusive relationship. As a vampire, he’s afraid he may hurt her physically if he can’t control his bloodlust. He’s the epitome of a woman’s white knight in shining armor. He has nothing but unconditional love for Trina and he gives her strength and encouragement. That is a trait I find sexy in a man.

That’s good news because it was a little tense in here earlier. Who inspires your writing most?

Cecil: I’m your inspiration, correct? I don’t mean to be blunt, however, you have a knack for loving alpha males.

Did he just wink? Maybe he’s not as bad as I thought. Cecil, I can see you’re inspiring but I meant other writers who inspire Charisma.

CK: True, Cecil, you are the epitome of a loving man, every woman’s dream because of the unconditional love you provide Trina. Now you know it’s not within your nature to be cocky, Cecil. What’s wrong with you? Have you been hitting the pubs with your buddy, Izzy, again? Please, don’t be so full of yourself. It does not suit you.

Cecil: My bad, C. Please, forgive me.

Umm, it sounds like Trina’s a lucky girl, Cecil. Dang, he’s breathtaking when he smiles!

CK: No worries. Many authors have inspired me. Joann, you are one of them. I need to say, you have been a great inspiration to me as a new author. In my time with Eirelander Publishing, I have really seen you grow and put out some pretty awesome titles. You are one of my favorite authors.

Thanks very much, Charisma! That’s always really great to hear, and Eirelander was a true help in improving my skills as a writer. When you’re not writing, what are some of your favorite things to do? Do you ever hang out with your characters?

CK: Reading! I love to read in my spare time. I have actually been making time for my reading. There is so much talent, and sometimes not enough time to cover all that talent, but I try. I have two beautiful daughters and of course I must goof off with them. I’m like a big kid myself, so I can be found watching movies with them, going shopping, visiting Chuck E Cheese’s. The weather has broken, so we won’t let any grass grow beneath our feet! I also love to go shopping! My characters do hang out with me in my head, especially the ones in my WIPs. They visit with me and jam to my favorite music. I find they enjoy heavy metal. ; )

I’m with you on the shopping! Sounds like the girls keep you busy. Are there any genres you’d like to try writing in?

CK: Yes, I have a ménage on the back burner. The cowboy scene is looking rather inviting! I have a few werewolf shifter stories in the making too.

Tell us a bit about what you’re working on without giving away too much.

CK: I’ve been adding to a few of my WIPs. The titles are Gunnarr The Ancient, The Ache, Under a Native Moon, and Forbidden.

Great titles, sounds like we’re going to be hearing a lot from you. Of the books you have out now, which has your favorite cover, and tell us a little about the artist?

CK: I’m quite taken with the cover of Daywalker, I truly love the colors, not to mention the hottie with the long hair, Lord Daegan.

I read Daywalker, and I have to say, the story was HOT! Let’s show the cover:

CK: Anastasia Rabiyah created the cover for Just An Average VampireDaywalker, and a few of my other titles. Both cover artists are talented women.


Rae Lori created my cover for Soul Seduction.
You’re right, they’ve both done good work. Do you have any advice for new writers?

CK: Definitely! If you truly want to pursue writing, read up on the industry. Never give up and strive to write a little each day. With each story, your craft becomes stronger. Also, don’t be afraid to approach your favorite authors. Talk to them. Fellow authors will give you much inspiration. Another important fact: Look out for each other. Authors give one another support. That is very important.

Charisma, I like that advice, and it’s so true. How can readers get in touch with you, and where can they find your books?

CK: Readers can find me at: http://www.amirapress.com/ and they can read more and contact me at http://www.charismaknight.blogspot.com/ or http://www.charismaknight.webs.com/

Here’s a Blurb for Charisma’s newest release, Just An Average Vampire:

After discovering the courage to divorce her abusive husband, Trina Jones rises from her ashes like the legendary Phoenix. Strong-willed and determined, she rebuilds her independence. After her divorce, a string of bad luck sets her back tremendously. Faced with eviction and repossession, Trina becomes frustrated. To make matters worse, she is laid off from her job.

Vampire Cecil McKagan graciously accepts Trina into his home once he discovers her hardship. The bond between them ultimately strengthens, and the pair become lovers. However, past negativities threaten to tear the couple apart...

Readers love to find out new things about their favorite authors, before you leave, can you tell us one thing about you that no one knows?

CK: I love to create silk flower arrangements. At one point in time, that was going to be my business. It’s very time consuming, and I rarely make them anymore.

Just for fun, I found out some other things about Charisma:

What’s your favorite vacation spot? Ocean City, Maryland and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I love them both!!

If you could own any car you wanted what would it be? Lexus

If you could do it all over again, is there anything you’d change about your life? Yes, I wouldn’t have married at the age of nineteen.

What’s your favorite food? Seafood and Italian

Where would you like to live if you had a choice? San Diego California!

What’s your favorite color? Black!

Who’s your favorite actor/TV show? Hugh Jackman, quite the hottie!/True Blood! Geez, I like Stephen Moyer too!

Charisma, and Cecil, thanks for stopping by and sharing with the readers. Keep us posted on your new works and congratulations on your newest release.

CK: Joann, it was my pleasure and an honor. Thank you for having us!

Hey, everyone stop by next Friday. I’ll see what new things I can dig up. In the meantime:
Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

6 comments:

Rebecca Royce said...

Hey Charisma and J. Hali. Great job today. Awesome Covers. You're both always on my TBR list.

J Hali Steele said...

Rebecca, thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you Rebeca!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Hi there Charisma and J Hali! That was fun!

Congratulations on your new release. Cecil sounds hot!

Have a great Easter --

Sassy
:)

J Hali Steele said...

*waving Hi* Sassy. I enjoyed this interview!

Unknown said...

Hey Sassy Brit! Yes, that was simply awesome. Joann did a great job.

Thanks again Joann.

Ladies, you have a great Easter