Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Love. Angel. Music. Baby.

Okay, so this post isn't about Gwen Stefani, but her lines (words) are the first thing that popped into my head when I heard we had an angel theme week going here at PNRomantics.

I have a weird history with angels. I love the idea of them as PNR/UF heroes or heroines, but I've yet to find a series that meshes with my view (yes, I know this sounds selfish) of what an angel should be. The angels are usually so naive and inexperienced, with annoying habits and speech patterns, that I give up on them after the first chapter or so.

Fallen angels, though, are another story. Since most consider them card-holding demons, they get into more trouble and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. That appeals to me. More than that--the idea of seeking redemption appeals to me. The idea of cobbling together a new moral code for yourself that's both what you were and what you've made yourself to be, is interesting stuff.

Let's face it, angels aren't randomly kicked out of Heaven. They commit an act of sin, and they fall. Once they're earthbound, it has to burn, you know? Life sucks, but who's to blame? Oh, yeah. Them. They did this, earned their own fate. They have no one to blame but themselves. Where they go from there, how their character grows from that point, is what makes fallen angels--and demons--interesting to me.

Our lives are a series of choices, and the ones we make define us.

So my question is this--have you guys read any books with angels as a main character that you've enjoyed? Any suggestions as to what angel-centric books I should be reading?

(And just because I've given myself an earworm, I'm going to share it with all of you.)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Good video too.

Rebecca Royce said...

Hailey--try 666 Angel Lane by Lori Green. One of the best books I've ever read actually in PNR/UF

Hailey Edwards said...

Chris, I did warn you...

Cool, Rebecca. I'll give that a read. :)

Anne said...

I like Nalini Singh's series, but more for the main female character who was human at the start. I can't think of any book or series with an angel (fallen or otherwise) as a main character that was a real winner for me. I don't see why one couldn't be, just hasn't happened yet.

Cathy M said...

I really enjoy Joey W Hill's, mermaid and angel series. They are very erotic, but the storylines are unique and kind of addictive, lol.

Hailey Edwards said...

That's my thought exactly, Anne. I keep thinking as much as I enjoy angels, there should be a series that clicks with me.

I've bought Nalini's angel series. I put off reading it until I finished writing my angel book. I'm hoping I'll be able to read them by the end of the year.

Cathy, I've heard so many good things about Joey W Hill, but I haven't tried her work yet. Mermaids and angels sounds like such a cool mix. I'll look those up, too.