Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Confidence

Confidence is a rare trait in a writer. We put ourselves out there, or pieces of ourselves, and open the door to criticism. It takes a lot of nerve to do that. We writers are a brave bunch for enduring the scrutiny. Hopefully we learn and grow and evolve into better writers, but seldom does our confidence grow in proportion to the hard knocks we're dealt.

 I can't say that's a bad thing. Being humble is a good thing.

My mom always said I didn't need to grow too big for my britches. I think she's right. But I also think a balance has to be struck.

Should you consider yourself a great talent? Probably not. (Even if you are.) Should you consider yourself worthy? I'd say that's a much healthier outlook. And yet, once in a while a talent comes along that can't be denied by the rest of us, even if the person possessing the talent is content to hide from the limelight.

 Watch and enjoy the emergence of such a talent from the shadows.

 I dare you to not be moved by this young man.

No comments: