Friday, April 13, 2012

It's Friday

And it's the 13th!

Of course I'm wondering how all this got started so I went blitzing around the net to find out what I could find out about myths, mad fears, and phobias related to Friday the 13th. What I found was nothing concrete as to why millions and millions of folks are scared silly by the day. Seems to be a rather new idea, like around the 20th century and involving Black Friday and falling stocks. There was a paragraph or two about a Pope and the Knights of Templar on Friday the 13th in the year 1307. Also found an odd word or two: friggatriskaidekaphobia and paraskevidekatriaphobia... trying to say either of them is a scary proposition for me. Could I pick any day of the week and have a phobia day all my own? Evidently not. In some cultures it's Tuesday the 13th, and then there's Friday the 17th. Guess I could find another day of the week, or even a number to tag to any one of my odd phobias.

Have you ever been to a hotel where there is no 13th floor? Where the heck did it go? In reality the 13th floor is still there - it just got another number! When you're on the 14th floor, it's actually the 13th floor. So who are they really kidding? Do you think the guys who built the Empire State Building just skipped on up...wait, they have a thirteenth floor.

Sigh, I've boggled my own mind with questions that have few answers, and now I'm going to leave you wrestling with the problem! :)

Happy Friday...uhhh...let's make it the 14... no, lets repeat the 12th, well don't do that unless it was a really good 12, like the 12 hours, or 12 Olympus Gods or, oh hell -

Have a Happy Friday the 13th.

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-J. Hali Steele

No comments: