Thursday, August 16, 2012

What's in your town library? ~ Deena Remiel


One never knows, does one? Some libraries have been around a very, very long time. Oh, the stories they could probably tell, and that still lie nestled in the insulation of the walls. I've always had an affinity towards libraries. I started by being a librarian at my elementary school when I was in 6th grade, and in college, I worked in the cartography department (maps) and then the Periodicals. I loved it. 
For one of my college history classes, I need to use primary sources, so I took the train into NY City and went to the NY Public Library. WHAT A PLACE! It just oozes history! It was thrilling to be in one of the side rooms filled with ancient books and even more ancient stories. The cornerstone of the library was laid in 1902. In 1911, when it officially opened, over 1 million books were set in place.  So one can only imagine all the fascinating people that have walked through its doors  and/or worked in the stacks since then. The architecture alone has been in many a movie, most notably, Ghostbusters.




Which brings me to my posit of the day... What if the spirits of former patrons and workers still lingered within the hallowed walls of the library? This very question is what led me to creating two ghostly characters for my newest paranormal series, The Book Waitress. They don't say a word, and they don't take form, but they do make their presence known in their own special way.

Question for you... If a spirit from a book could walk the halls of your library, whose spirit would you like it to be?

I would love to go to my library and see the spirit of Willy Wonka floating through the stacks. 




No comments: