Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stompin' Tom

A Canadian legend passed away on March 6, 2013. He was 77 and a HUGE part of my childhood.

His songs were ingrained in my life as a young Canadian.

My Dad listened to his songs, I grew up on them, just like I grew up on Kraft Dinner & SCTV.

Stompin' Tom Connors passed away at his home of natural causes. He was called Stompin' Tom because he stomped his foot in time with his music.

When I heard he'd passed. I shed a tear. I couldn't believe he was gone. Every Canadian felt like a true friend to Stompin' Tom because he sang about Canada and it's people.

His most famous songs were "Bud the Spud" and the "Hockey Song". I knew these songs well, but on Thursday I heard a song I'd never heard of before, The Road to Thunder Bay.

I gave it a whirl and it was one of the most hauntingly beautiful and sad songs I'd heard.



I traveled the LONG road to Thunder Bay. We traveled from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie this past summer. My GOD the scenery is beautiful, but the distance is KILLER. We were absolutely exhausted by the time we got to our hotel in Sault Ste. Marie.


When I heard Tom's voice, about picking up a ghost of a young man who was trying to get to his true love, I shed another tear.

Rest in Peace Stompin' Tom.

"When I've come to the end of my journey, down this long, lonely road to Thunder Bay."

No comments: