Thursday, April 18, 2013

Better Research = Better Author (ADULT CONTENT)

This post today is of a highly sexual nature with explicit and crude language (really cause there's no other way to discuss this), so consider yourself warned.

~*~

"Give them lube!"

I actually shouted those words once to my ereader. No joke. Reading along in a really fabulous m/m novel and the two guys were getting all hot and bothered for each other big time. The one dude flips the other over and BAM rams right into his ass.

Um...OW!

I winced, flipped the page and kept reading. Next sex scene...same thing. Needless to say, I couldn't finish the book. I know books are about fantasy and sometimes we're supposed to suspend our disbelief, but there are times where I just can't. And this is one of them because I write stories where anal sex does happen.

Lemme give a little advice here, lean closer and I'll whisper it in your ear in case you're the shy type. Ready? "The anus is not a naturally lubricating orifice. It doesn't work like the vagina. This is true for both sexes - male and female. Seriously. Even the most experienced person is going to need some lube back there regardless of the genre. Got it? Okay."

Mostly this post is about doing thorough research. Now, I'm not saying that you should traipse off and have anal sex if that's not your thing. You can successfully write about it and never actually DO it. But you do need to do some research if you're going to write about something like this. And really, if you're writing something in that great of detail, you shouldn't be squeamish about the research, IMHO.

Knowing the basics is going to translate better on the page for a reader, and better research makes for a better author.

Sara
www.sarabrookes.com


2 comments:

Patti P said...

Thank you!!! I have had the same experience. I just don't understand why people think it is so difficult to add something so basic.

June M. said...

Oh, great post! I don't tend to get overly upset about most things but something like this would be a necessity, lol.