Thursday, September 5, 2013

What if...

Apologies for being much later than usual but I'm recovering from surgery and I slept late!


Now to the WHAT IF. What if there had been all the social media and technology around 1939 when they were casting Gone With The Wind, or around 1952 when the same was happening with A Quiet Man? What if enough media uproar caused the studio heads to recast the stars in each of those movies? Gone With The Wind without Clark Gable or Vivian Leigh! A Quiet Man without John Wayne or Maureen O'Hara! Would they be the wonderful classics we know and love to this day? Did Margaret Mitchell or Maurice Walsh even have much say in who was cast in the lead roles for these films? Maybe, and maybe the studios knew enough about the stars to know they could act the parts they'd been contracted to play.
I'm not going to compare these wonderful stories to anything in the headlines today, but...
Oh, well! I've read books and loved them, enjoyed the movie even if I wasn't eager to see the chosen actor play the role (only because they didn't fit my idea of the character from the book.) I've enjoyed movies when I couldn't or didn't read the book. I've read great stories and have never seen the resulting movie.
Who knows how or why these things work out, I only know they do. And I know another thing: Charlie Hunnam is pretty easy on the eyes!! So, WHAT IF...


Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-J. Hali Steele

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometime I'm disappointed when actors cast in a role don't leave up to my imagination...but if the writer has a say in the casting, then I get to see what she envisioned when she was creating them.

J Hali Steele said...

Thanks Illyanna, and you make a great point. It is interesting to know how the writer sees her creation.