Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Books and Bunnies

So...I have a blog post to write and my brain is blank--more blank than usual. Plot bunnies jump out to throttle me at every opportunity, but blog bunnies? They're rarer than hen's teeth.

Again the fall back is my stack of reference books, piled up there to the left. There's nothing immediate that jumps out at me. I doubt a romance post should be about the Fortress Monasteries of the Himalayas (though seriously, the plans and drawings in this book are lovely and just begging for a fantasy set behind their walls...see what I mean about the bunnies?). Or there's Medieval Hunting squished up against Magick and Rituals of the Moon (another serious bunny forming!)

It's fairly plain that there's no order to my books. At all. I like to be surprised and often find books I have no memory of buying. I think they breed in the dark corners of my bookshelves...

One book I distinctly remember buying is How to Start a Kinky Relationship. Mainly as a writer, naturally *grin* because it's packed with really handy worksheets. Go to the look inside feature on Amazon. It's what sold it for me :D

The Appendix has useful things such as the Ideal Parter profile, the Role Play Worksheet, the Fetish Consent sheet, asking questions such as for role play, who turns you on, which clothes or fabrics do, how should the encounter end and listing ideas that could be the jumping off point for a detailed scene. For building characters, a scene, even simply dipping into the worksheet and thinking 'yep, I've love to write a story around this idea' I've found it very useful.

And yes, from flicking through this book...I have more bunnies *sigh*


---------------------
Kim Knox brews sex, magic, darkness and technology in a little corner of North West England. She writes erotic science fiction and fantasy romance for Carina Press, Entangled Publishing, Ellora’s Cave, Samhain Publishing, Cleis Press and others.

3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Cute post. Your reference books sound great. Lots of plot bunnies!

Kim Knox said...

Thanks, and yes, my reference book collection is a warren of bunnies :)

Heather Hand said...

I like the bunnies from "How to Start a Kinky Relationship". I would read those books please! :-)