Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Little Pieces

...of me.

Now, you're scratching your head, thinking what!? Let me explain.

Each time I sit at my computer and start a story it isn't long before I find myself saying, "You can't write that, sounds too much like you." or, "Your real friends will know why the character said that." Sometimes I stand, pace the floor, and wonder why I wrote those exact words the way I did. But then I think, so what, every story I write goes into the world with a little piece of me. Inside the pages, you'll find some of my ideas, things I cherish in life, you'll find a few of my quirks, and a whole lot of my fantasies. After all, my characters are born in my head, they live and move about there--they know all my secrets! Is it so very odd they would tell me their story using pieces of my own life they've rummaged through in corners of my mind I thought locked away from prying eyes?
Is there one book I'd admit holds a larger piece of who I am than another? Which book, or story, what character is like me?
In many ways they all are because each one holds a little piece of me.
Lord knows, I hope the pieces stay teensy, tiny!

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-J. Hali Steele

No comments: