Friday, November 15, 2013

Review: Last Hour of Gann


Blurb:

It was her last chance:

Amber Bierce had nothing left except her sister and two tickets on Earth’s first colony-ship. She entered her Sleeper with a five-year contract and the promise of a better life, but awakened in wreckage on an unknown world. For the survivors, there is no rescue, no way home and no hope until they are found by Meoraq—a holy warrior more deadly than any hungering beast on this hostile new world…but whose eyes show a different sort of hunger when he looks at her.

It was his last year of freedom:

Uyane Meoraq is a Sword of Sheul, God’s own instrument of judgment, victor of hundreds of trials, with a conqueror’s rights over all men. Or at least he was until his father’s death. Now, without divine intervention, he will be forced to assume stewardship over House Uyane and lose the life he has always known. At the legendary temple of Xi’Matezh, Meoraq hopes to find the deliverance he seeks, but the humans he encounters on his pilgrimage may prove too great a test even for him…especially the one called Amber, behind whose monstrous appearance burns a woman’s heart unlike any he has ever known.

From R. Lee Smith, author of Heat and Cottonwood, comes an epic new story of desire, darkness and the dawn that comes after The Last Hour of Gann.

WARNING: This book contains graphic violence, strong sexual content and explicit language. It is intended for mature readers only.
Amazon
Nook


Official Review:

What an unexpected gem.

Ms. Smith is a new to me author. I discovered this book via word of mouth and was intrigued by the concept. I hadn't realized it was over 4000 pages long but that only convinced me that it would be a great read. Amber is a strong female character who's determination to survive is remarkable. Meorak is one of the best heros I've read in a very long time. Warrior priest with an ironic sense of humor.
Some parts were difficult to read. Not because of the writing but the violence. So consider this a warning for the faint of heart. Ms. Smith does not gloss over the horrors of reality. But it was all worth it.

I laughed, I cried, and I will read it again

(And I did. Right after I wrote this review, I read it all over again. LOL)


Unofficial Gushing:

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't post a review unless I really want other people to read the book. If I could have given it 6 stars+, I would have.

I have been looking for something to rock my world for over eight months. Most books I picked up were ok, but nothing for me to pass along.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it.

I tip my reader and writer hat to Ms. Smith. The first time I read it was as a reader and could barely put it down and missing my deadline. LOL Second time was as a writer so I could learn from the experience.

Annie Nicholas
www.annienicholas.com

No comments: