Sunday, January 4, 2015

Make a resolution you want to keep

As one year ends and the promise of a new one begins, just about everyone is looking to make goals and resolutions for a new beginning...and then generally breaking those resolutions before the first month of the new year is through. 

Who made a New Year’s resolution last year? (Eagerly raises hand)


How many of you have kept the resolutions that you made last year? (Slowly lowers hand then looks around to see if anyone else still has a hand up)


 How many remember their resolutions? (Nods)


Is it because they're the same ones you’ve made year after year and never keep but think this year will be different? (Ducks head)


Yep, that’s me. Making those same resolutions to eat better/lose weight, exercise more, get more sleep, write so many words/pages... 

How about trying something different this year and make a resolution to do more of what you love? 

It's a win, win because you'll be happier and less likely to break your resolution. So take a minute and write down some of the things you love doing most in your life. 
Go ahead...I'll wait.

Okay, here's mine!

Resolution Number #1 for me is to resolve to write more and write even better than before!

Next develop some steps on how you're going to meet your resolution, then you'll be more likely to obtain it. 

Here's how I'm going to do it: Reading and writing and arithmetic... movies.

·      Read more books: My TBR pile is ginormous! Luckily most of it is on my kindle or I might not be able to get into my office if I had all the books in print. As most writers know, the best way to become a better writer is to read more. So while I'm immersed in my favorite happy place of a good book, I'll know that I'm improving my writing by 'studying' other writers.

·      Watch more movies: It’s amazing how movies can be so educational to writing. I find myself pointing out (to the dismay of my hubby trying to watch the movie) the black moment, how the backstory is added in (good and bad), red herrings...all invaluable to my own writing skills.

·      Write more-The more you write- the better you’ll get. I can prove this by pulling out an old story that is waiting to be finished. (The horror! Look away before you burn your eyes!) But I'll set a time and place, so it's measurable and not a vague goal.

·      Other writers: While reading more stuff, how about trading writing with a writer friend? It’s a win, win situation in that you’re getting another writing perspective on your work while reading more books.


Have you made any resolutions you'd like to share? 

~Maureen 

Penning stories boasting laughter, light suspense and something magical in the hope of sharing her love of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary world.

4 comments:

Tina B said...

Good luck with your goals/resolutions, Maureen.
I am going to eat and feed my family healthier. We started this last year and it worked for a while, but slacked at the end of the year.
I am also going to be less judgmental. This resolution is more for me an not necessarily others. I am realizing that I need to love me for me and not try to be a size 6.
I hope you have a fabulous year!!

Maureen said...

Thank you Tina! Those are wonderful resolutions. Thank you for stopping by.

Diane Burton said...

Love the part about watching more movies. I get so many ideas how to improve my writing from movies. Best wishes on those resolutions, Maureen. Happy New Year!

Maureen said...

That's just what I'm dong on this cold, rainy day today Diane- watching movies :) Happy New Year to you!