Thursday, September 15, 2016

Geekdom

Everybody has an inner geek. In high school, ah heck even now, I embraced my inner geek and continue to allow it to shine. Never one to follow conformity, I still follow my passion even when others give me the side eye. Why am I talking about this? Because it's this part of me that shines the most when I write my stories. Every author has a 'voice' and my inner geek speaks loud when I place pen to paper. (See, I still write my first draft longhand.)


On a long drive back to Canada, my native land, to visit my hometown. I flashed back to my days of major dorkdom when it wasn't cool to be different. A girl who liked science fiction? Who was a trekkie AND a whovian? Who wanted to be a Jedi? Let's just say the bullies had a field day with me. and I grew up insecure. I reflected on how much I'd changed since then, yet somehow still hung onto my fandom. I still loved all those things and wasn't ashamed.

What would it have been like if I'd grown up in a werewolf pack instead? This question sparked a really important desire. The underdog movement.  Did shifters have their own versions of geeks? 

Being a mixed culture of both human and wolf, we imagine them to be hot and sexy. Full of animal magnetism wanting to dominate and keep a mate for life.





 What about the ones who lived on the fringe of the pack? The different people, who live on the out skirts of their society, my brethren, who go by all sorts of names. In wolf packs these individuals are called Omegas, the scapegoats of the pack. I could relate. I'd lived there myself. 

How would werewolf omegas live? Could they band together? Would the pack allow them to do that? If they needed to defend themselves who would teach them?

Inspired by these questions came forth The Vanguards and later The Vanguard Elite, where I could explore these ideas because, let's face it, sometimes a woman just needs to root for the underdog.


Start the series for only 99 cents.


Start the series for only 99 cents


Follow Annie Nicholas on Facebook or sign up for her newsletters.


2 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Welcome back, Annie. You described my middle school experience. LOL We so wanted to fit in. Now we embrace of differences. Thought provoking about shifters.

Maureen said...

Some interesting observations- I went to my girls back to school night so was contemplating similar things back from my HS days. Sounds like a great story when you mix it with shifters! Great post!