Monday, November 14, 2016

The Best Review I've Ever Had

The New York Journal of Books said of Morgan D'Arcy: A Vampyre Rhapsody:

"Author Nightingale’s writing has a lyrical quality, darkly poetic in some aspects but always descriptive and entertaining. She has a way with words bordering on the style of Oscar Wilde, teetering on the epigram, bon mots with a deeply sensual attitude.
Though her other novels were delights to read, Morgan D’Arcy: A Vampyre Rhapsody is the best to date, a tour de force of luscious description and elegant passages. Her own particular take on the vampire genre is an original idea embellished by descriptive prose.
Lovers of paranormal romance will enjoy this book as much for the subject matter as for the lush imagery the writing evokes."
I wouldn't normally begin a post on Paranormal Romantics with something entirely about me, but I was thrilled.
Now, to the subject matter of the actual post, what is your opinion of how much reviews affect book sales?
One book promotion site that has a great name in the industry is BookBub. Everyone with whom I've spoken says they make back the rather expensive advertising fee. Rumor has it that BookBub will not consider a book with less than a rather high number of reviews. I was told that wasn't true, but they do reject as many books as they take (again hearsay).
If an author receives a bad review, will that influence a reader's buying potential? What is your opinion? Personally, I discount reviews when choosing a movie or a book.
The number of reviews, good and bad, I guess, does speak to the book's or movie's worth. Often, I've selected one that had been panned by critics (readers for a book) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'd be very interested in what you think.

4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

If I'm not sure about buying a book, I'll read the reviews. I'll read the 1 or 2 stars to see what the reviewer didn't like. Do I put much value on 1 stars? Not usually. As an author, I remember the bad reviews (esp. those unwarranted) more than I do the good ones. Is that human nature??? Good post, Linda.

CJ Burright said...

Ooh, those are some nice comments! Nothing better than being on the receiving end of a great review! I don't usually pay any attention to review when I'm choosing books, unless the blurb is interesting, but not enough to sell me. Then, I might take a peek at reviews.

Maureen said...

A good review is awesome to an author- but as a reader, I don't read too many reviews- I don't want any spoilers :)

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Congrats on your review. You have every right to be thrilled!