Thursday, June 29, 2017

When the Plan Comes Together by @MeganSlayer #iamwriting #authorcollaboration #writingwithfriends #pnr

Not quite a year ago, I was asked to take part in an anthology. I came up with a story and had a good start on said story. A paranormal tale featuring a vampire. The problem was that the anthology fell through. I had a story, but nothing to do with it. Well, not nothing, but it was temporarily homeless.

That's when the idea struck. Well, kind of. Heh heh. I had some ideas to wait a year, since it was rumbling quickly toward Halloween by the time I finished my story and there was no way I'd be able to put it out before the holiday. So I shelved the book and planned to release it during the next Halloween Holiday Season.

Fast forward to February. I can't release a vampire story at Valentine's day when it has to do with Halloween, but I had another idea. I'd always wanted to write with Madison Sevier. She's one of my best friends. Why not? And what if we created something super special and super secret for the convention we were going to do in June? That's when the idea of writing Faeries After Dark came about.

I also happened to find my faerie wings in the closet.

So I thought, wouldn't it be cool to write a pair of faeries. Sisters. Since I had blue wings, mine could be blue and since Madison loves purple...well, you get the idea. What we did with the faeries was up to us. Madison and I discussed the idea and once the ball started rolling, we ran with it.

My faerie is the pistol of the pair. She's blue and excels at using blue language. She's a love faerie, but love isn't her strong point. She's been kicked around a little by life and isn't looking for a partner, but if a merman needs a hook-up, she'll help him find the right man. Of course, another guy comes long ready to knock her off her feet. Good things she's got wings.

Once we had the stories written, I created the cover art and poof! Done. Okay, there were edits in there and like most edits, they weren't the most thrilling thing I've ever done, but they made the story better.

Then it was ready for print and eventually ebook upload. We revealed our plan in clues and super secret posts on social media. By the time we got to the party for the book on Friday at the event... we were overwhelmed by interest. So cool. Now the book is out in print and ebook for everyone to purchase. I hope you enjoy it.

If you're an author looking to write a story with someone, think about a few things first. Do I trust this person? Will this person do something naughty? Is this partnership possible? I got lucky. Madison and I work well together and are willing to compromise often. We've even got the next super secret project planned for Halloween and for next June. Writing with other authors is fun, but stay on your guard. If you don't trust the situation our your concerned, then don't be afraid to say something. It might go wrong, but it might be exactly what you need to get the project off the ground.

Speaking of Faeries and off the ground, here's a little more about the Faeries After Dark:

Faeries After Dark by Madison Sevier and Megan Slayer
Published by WZD and Coffee Queen Publications

Contemporary, Paranormal, Erotic Romance
M/F pairing
Novella

Faeries finding purpose, magic and love... 

FIONA 

A faerie on the run with a stolen bear. An attraction neither can deny. Magic is the key when these two hearts collide. Fiona Blake has always been the faerie who’s done the right thing. She's avoided trouble and love her entire life. Now, she's unemployed and on the run--with a stolen bear. By using her magic, she's unbalanced the laws of nature and Fiona is in deep scat. She must fix things before she loses her powers and her heart to a sexy stranger who might get her locked up in faerie prison. 

Kash Bruin needed a break from his overbearing, matchmaking father. He never imagined he'd wake up in a cage, naked and kidnapped by a crazy, violet-eyed, beautiful woman who believes she's a faerie. Can a spark of magic bring these two creatures from separate world's together? Or will the truth be too much to bear and tear them apart fur-ever? 

CORDELIA 

What’s a love faerie supposed to do without her magic? 

Cordelia likes to play fast and loose with the rules. So she’s made a few mistakes with magic along the way? No one got hurt…right? The blue-haired faerie, prone to the occasional blue language and dirty jokes, loses her right to create magic after one goof-up too many. But she’s about to find redemption in the form of a merman named Henry and a human named Jinx. Fix them up and she’ll get her right to create magic back. There’s only one problem…Liam. 

Liam could be the right man to help Cordelia rise above her troubles…but first she’s got to make him believe she exists. Not impossible, right?


Megan Slayer - It's Always Fun to Squirm

Subscribe to our newsletter ~ http://ymlp.com/xgjmjumygmgj 

4 comments:

Victoria Craven said...

I really like the idea of collaborating with another author. My sister and I often talk about our stories. Maybe she and I could do something together. I also like your book blurb. I really would like to read the story. Great job!

Diane Burton said...

I'm fascinated by a "blue" talking faerie. That should be a lot of fun. Collaborating has to challenge a friendship. It's great that yours survived and thrived.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Victoria - this has been the easiest collabo I could've asked for. Madison and I just see to 'get' each other. Plus, I love her writing and I knew what feel she wanted. It was her series I got to step into so, I had to make it fit properly.

Diane,
I'd been watching a show about blue comedy and how the term blue came into being--if it wasn't approved of in Vaudeville, the mgmt gave the performer a blue envelope with the material deemed inappropriate. Well, that spurred the idea. Faeries are supposed to be pills - although most don't agree - so I ran with the blue theme. As for the friendship, it's been great since we think on the same wavelength. It's a challenge, but we like it. :-)

Maureen said...

Love the cover! Collaborating can be challenging, but is a great way to grow readership- and hopefully have fun! I enjoyed working on an anthology with a few other authors, but I'm sure anything that requires working in a group comes with it's own issues.